Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Today's Kitchen Adventure, Homemade Ricotta Cheese.................

When it comes to my kitchen I like to be able to say "I can do that" or at the very least "I have tried that". Last week I made homemade french bread which totally put store bought french bread to shame. After I made the loaf I started thinking about what else I can prepare from scratch for a nice Italian meal. I am not ready to try and conquer homemade pasta so I decided to try homemade Ricotta. I think I have had a success here but I will know for sure tomorrow when I use today's freshly made Ricotta in stuffed shells.




Ricotta Cheese
Ingredients: 1 half gallon of whole milk
2 cups buttermilk



The step by step instructions can be found here http://cheese.about.com/od/homecheesemaking/ss/making_ricotta.htm


175 Degrees

Cheesecloth prepared

Straining out the curds

Draining out some of the whey

Tied up and allowed to drain for about 1 hour

TADA!!! I have Ricotta


Update tomorrow with results of the Stuffed Shells

No comments: