Friday, August 14, 2009

Camping August 2009..........

Better late than never on this post I guess. We went camping up at Wood Canyon Lake last weekend and it was one of our best trips.

I really needed to get away. Lots of stress on the homefront including the death of our neighbor.

This trip was pretty much a last minute decision. When it comes to vacations camping is up there with one of the most frugal things you can do as long as you already have all the equipment you need.

We left for our trip on Thursday afternoon and arrived back home on Sunday before noon. I had totally forgotten that Friday was my birthday until hubby pulled a flowering weed from the ground and wished me happy birthday. We wanted to arrive home pretty early on Sunday since Monday was the first day of school and we wanted the girls to be well rested and ready to go.

It took us a while to decide if we would be going fishing on this trip. Originally I said no, let's just relax and sleep in and take it easy. We finally changed our mind and decided to go ahead and buy two day fishing licenses because some peeps in the family were afraid they would get bored.

Thursday night we took it easy but Friday morning we were up bright and early and bushy tailed at 4 AM (you can decide yourself how much sarcasm is in that sentence). I made a nice hot breakfast and we headed off. I usually don't make a hot breakfast before heading out for fishing as we like to be at our spot when the sun rises, so cooking this time did delay us a bit.

Friday morning we went to Willow Springs Lake. Ugh it was windy and cold. We didn't see any fish jumping like we usually do at our regular spot at Woods Canyon but we hung out for a few hours anyways. It was a total bust, no nibbles at all. As well as fishing being a bust cheergirl was suffering. She didn't sleep too well and when she got up (at 4 AM) her neck popped and she ended up being in pain all day Friday and early Saturday.

While at the lake Friday morning cheergirl didn't even put her pole in the water. She instead found a nice soft rock (more sarcasm inserted) curled up and slept. Not even her Twilight book could get her attention and that is saying something.

Darling big brother, always ready, willing and able to antagonize.Message for the ducks ........"Go ahead, make my day"
A couple morning shots at Willow Springs Lake

Get lost mom..... Sleeping beauty has awakenGuess I was wrong, she did pop her fishing line in the water for a bit....Friday afternoon at camp is spent, reading, eating, napping, and target practicing. No injuries reported. Friday late afternoon, headed back to our favorite fishing spot at Woods Canyon Lake. Victory was mine. Momma proved to be the fishing queen, I caught the one and only fish that evening.
Can you see the choppy waters in the pictures from Friday? Ugh is was such a terrible windy day. Almost a deal breaker, it wouldn't have taken much to convince us to pack and head back home. But we persevered......

Saturday morning we awoke to a much more calm day thank goodness. We again woke at 4 AM and I hustled to make breakfast burritos to take with us to the lake. We arrived at our favorite spot at Woods Canyon lake just as the sun was rising.

Look how still and calm the water is...

Origami Girl, kicking back and enjoying her burrito.

Cheergirl was fascinated by these two oak trees smack dab in the middle of all the pines. She liked the way they leaned towards each other making somewhat of an arch and feels it would be a great place for a wedding. No more pictures of the fish being caught, just a couple pics when we got home. Drumroll please. Momma ended up being the master fisherwoman this trip around. I caught THREE fish, the two biggest were mine, and then one of the smaller ones. I also reeled in origami girls fish as she was busy reading. Hubby brought in a fish and pizza boy brought in a fish. The debate is still out on who's fish was bigger. Poor Cheer girl, didn't catch a thing. By Saturday afternoon she was feeling much better and the kink in her neck was almost gone so she was eager to go back to our fishing spot again. Alas we had no luck on Saturday evening, not even a nibble. I think we were at the lake a little too early, should have waited a little closer to sunset.

One more side note....... Saturday afternoon hubby and Pizzaboy drove down to get water and chit chatted with the attendant about fishing. The attendant stated that people were reporting very poor fishing results, nobody was catching anything. HMMMMM, guess I was lucky or skilled.

No comments: